Thursday, November 20, 2014

The beauty of light


We stood in a circle, holding hands. I looked around at the faces of students, professors, staff and visitors. At that moment some of them looked radiant. Others looked stressed, tired, sad, or preoccupied. As the silent prayer began I looked down and focused on the center of the circle as I often do, to "center" myself by concentrating on that space where I imagine our energies converge.

First I noticed a patch of light flickering on the carpet, smack dab in the middle of the circle, coming from a window above us, fading in and out, wavering as clouds passed overhead.  I thought, "How nice is that? Sunshine is entering our circle".

 
Then I recognized the shape of the shadow within the distorted rectangle of light and I smiled.  I looked around at others to see if they had noticed it too, but their eyes were closed as they prayed.

Once a week we gather in a circle, hold hands, voice our joys and concerns, then say a prayer before sharing a meal together.  Some people, especially those who are not Quaker, might think this is a strange or uncomfortable thing to do with one's coworkers. I find it comforting. I feel at home. Peacefully at home. We are a group of people sharing the content of our lives with each other, not just sharing space as we do our jobs.

The people who work and study here are very intelligent, well-traveled, insightful, extremely caring individuals.  They each have their causes and passions that drive them to do good works, here in the seminary and out in the world. They have jolly laughs and endearing quirks.  They live simply and give extravagantly. They care about each other deeply.

The way they interact with one another, the way they interact with the world beyond the seminary, inspires me. It warms me to be in their presence. I can feel their light around me.  It is changing me.

I came here to work, exhausted, bitter, resentful and resigned. I felt I had struggled but lost my foothold on that rocky cliff called "career".

But while working in the light of those who study and work here, I feel I am being transformed, as light that shines through a gray dark window is transformed. Once again I feel I am doing good, honest work.  I feel I have a purpose and I am valued in many ways.  I enjoy my work and my coworkers again. Because of this, and because I'm exposed to so many faithful and spiritual others, my faith in "something greater" is being restored. 

I feel like the light from those around me is shining through a gray, dark window within me and it is being transformed.  It's a faint shadow, just a symbol, but somehow it offers hope and comfort.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment